I know that when tensions are high, the tendency is to smoke more. This puts you in a higher risk category for negative effects in your life.
I offer the following suggestions:
- Delay your first cigarette every day, even if just a few minutes. If you smoke as soon as you wake up, take a moment to stretch and breathe deeply.
- Start a cigarette schedule, for example, one every 3 hours, then every 4 hours the next day, etc. This will prepare you mind to accept periods of time that you have to practice breathing techniques, or drink additional water, take a walk or just tensely wait for the next cigarette (hypnosis will help calm you!)
- Massaging hands, feet, and ears is relaxing and stimulates acupressure points.
- Meditate. 10 minutes twice daily alters your stress response.
- Practice self-compassion.
Smoking Cessation Guidlelines